April 29, 2013
Age of Change
If Aaron and I were to sum up our lives over the past few months, with just one word, it would absolutely be CHANGE.
1 Make or become different: [ with obj. ] : a proposal to change the law | [ no obj. ] : a Virginia creeper just beginning to change from green to gold.
• make or become a different substance entirely; transform: [ with obj. ] : filters change the ammonia into nitrate | [ no obj. ] : computer graphics can show cars changing into cheetahs.
• [ no obj., with complement ] alter in terms of: the ferns began to change shape .
• [ no obj. ] (of traffic lights) move from one color of signal to another.
• [ no obj. ] (of the moon) arrive at a fresh phase; become new.
Change is funny thing. You can’t avoid it. In the best of times… “This too shall pass.” In the worst of times… “This too shall pass.”
Change is: Exciting & Scary, Rejuvinating & Stressful, Hopeful & Uncertain.
And we are embarking on some of the BIGGEST CHANGES of our LIVES.
- Aaron and I have never lived in Ohio, or even left the East Coast for that matter! (Well, except those 2 brief years my family lived in Hawaii right after I was born.)
- We will both be starting new careers.
- Joining a new church.
- Making entirely new friends.
- Becoming new homeowners.
- New neighbors.
- New highways.
- New foods. (Even the chili is different!)
- New dog parks.
- New coffee shops….
EVERYTHING is about to change! When the waters of fear, stress and uncertainty seem to be crashing in, we remind ourselves that we’re traveling with a God who calms the raging sea. He speaks powerfully and calmly…
We go with hope. We go with peace. We go with strength and assurance knowing we are not traveling alone. He has undeniably gone ahead of us, and He has promised to walk every step with us on our journey to Ohio.
Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.